Monday 14 January 2013

Surviving Twilight

Howdy

Well, we are surviving with no Paul.  The lucky bugger is in Chicago tonight, staying downtown as well, it looked awesome when we did facetime earlier.  The temperature is even a balmy -3!!!!  A lot warmer than where he was.  I might try and persuade him to hijack a blog post when he gets home, sounds like an awesome trip.

This week has been quite nice, getting the boys into the routine of school again.  Tuesday, we chilled out around the house in between school runs.  Wednesday, Paul went in to work late, so I could see the dietician, Cindy.  She was very pleasant,  I was in there about an hour and a half.  I kinda knew all the things she was telling me, and by 45 minutes in we were just chatting.  She had loads of helpful advice, and I look forward to implementing what we discussed.  That afternoon, Isaac, Seb and I went to another new store, Big Lots (insert necessary pun here........).  It is another Target/Walmart type store, a bit like Wilkinson back home.  We got some seeds for the garden (Isaac's request), and I have spied some garden furniture at very reasonable prices. We also checked out the furniture shop next door, as our first visitor (Tony, Paul's brother) is due in 2 months, and we need another bed.

thursday, Paul left for the airport.  I did the school run as usual, came home and started getting ready to go to my friend Liene's house.  As I was putting stuff in the car, I noticed Mr Forgetful, I mean Oliver, had left his homework on the kitchen table, so I had to run it to him on the way.  Seb and I had a lovely morning, the boys played really well, and we ate cake and brownies.  I even managed to keep Seb awake until I had collected Isaac, which meant he went for a later sleep, and I got to spend some time with just Isaac. All he wanted to do was play Xbox!!!!  There were some new tracks on their favorite game, and it would appear he wanted to do 'time trials' so he could learn the tracks before Oliver got home, and he raced him.  Clever boy.....  We left to get Oliver, Isaac was asleep in no time.  This was no issue, as we had arranged to meet friends at the park after school.  This was a park I had not been too, set in the middle of a soccer complex (I can't help it, you start to pick up the lingo after a while....).  no joke, at least 20 pitches, 2 good parks and no shade..... not a good one in the summer.

The temperature has been steadily creeping up here, but it still chucked it down all day on friday.  I had my diabetic appointment with the nurse in the morning, I will say it again, she is awesome!!!  My numbers are definitely  heading in the right direction, but we have decided to alter a vital part.  Instead of giving my long acting insulin (Levemir) in one big dose at night, we have decided to split it into 2 doses, every 12 ish hours.  I think it will take time for my body to adjust, and for me to get my short acting insulin (novolog they call it here, novorapid in the UK) right, but I shall persevere.  We were meant to be going to the park with friends in the afternoon, but given the weather they came here.  It was lovely to chat, and for the kids to play.  After we picked Oliver up we headed to Dunkin' Donuts.  Isaac has had another good week at school, he has a reward chart, every time he has a good day he puts a tick on the chart, then he chooses a reward for the end of the week.  The donuts were good, all the boys enjoyed them.  He seems to have settled back into school really well (touch wood!), might be because he is not the new boys any more, or might be because he has realised that he is there for a while.  Either way, we are pleased, his teachers are pleased, and he seems a lot happier.  Every day he has told me different people he has played with, and I think he is having a lot of fun.  I started reading the Twilight book set that Paul got me for Christmas on friday night, the first book was done by saturday evening.  I have forgotten how nice it is to read for pleasure (thanks OU).

This weekend we have done very little.  We have been out once to get a drive thru McDonalds.  But thats it.  We played in the garden this afternoon with one of Isaacs Christmas presents.  It is a stand to hit a baseball off, with a plastic bat.  Little Tikes product, awesome, even Seb and I had a few shots.  Isaac can hit with both hands, and Oli just thinks its like cricket.  I was also able to check out my veggie patch.  It has a few ants nests around the outside, but no nasties, it needs a bit of work but I have time.  Don't want to go sorting it soon, or the cat will think it is one big litter tray....  I have been a particularly bad mum.  the boys have watched loads of TV, but played too.  they have had their computer time, and I have sat on the sofa reading the Twilight books.....

I must say, I feel like I have made some good friends here already.  I have not got as big a circle of people who I see on a regular basis (good ol' car pool), but the friends I do meet up with are lovely.  They have been particularly good over this week end.  Although we have not seen anyone, I have had lots of texts and facebook messages.  i know they are there if I need them, and that is a really good feeling to have.

This week......

we are heading over to a place between Greenville and Spartanburg to meet up with a lady I met at a meet up.  We are planning on the first picnic of the year, I just hope the weather holds...

Paul is back on tuesday, hurrah!!!!!!  not sure what time he will be back yet....

I still have done nothing about Sebastians birthday!!!! I was planning a trip to Toys r us on tuesday morning to get his presents from us and from my parents.  Then  wednesday a trip to Walmart to get the extra things I need for his cake.  I have an idea in my head, just need to figure it out realistically.  I also want to check out their toys/books and see if there is anything else he would like.  It's best I take him with me birthday shopping, as I have no idea what to get him!!!

Miss South Carolina 2013
Next Saturday we are heading to Columbia to the zoo for his birthday treat.  I hope to explore the city a bit too, it is the capital of South Carolina after all...

Must also say, a big well done to Miss South Carolina, who came in as runner up in Miss America 2013.  only saw the end of it, she was beaten by Miss New York ( these 2 look stupidly the same, says a lot really.....)

Thats it, for now.......

No comments:

Post a Comment